Splat Photo occasionally reviews products or services that are of use to photographers. If you’re interested in submitting a product for review, please see the contact page including the review policy.
Photography Book & Magazine Reviews
- A Sense of Place by Younes Bounhar looks at improving photography both around your home (breaking past the familiarity) as well as when traveling (to make the most of limited time in a new photo environment).
- Craft & Vision II is a free ebook featuring nine articles from six Craft & Vision authors. Topics include both technical and creative areas of interest.
- Essential Development by Sean McCormack dives into the Develop module of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, working through both the simple and advanced tools that make Lightroom the go-to program for many photographers.
- Great Light, Easy Light – Kevin Clark explores using flash photography to create portraits which look natural.
- Growing the VisionMonger 2 – as noted by the subtitle, this is a kick-ass guide for the photographic entrepreneur. I agree wholeheartedly. Tons of great business and marketing advice for photographers here. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to make money via photography sales or services.
- Mastering Exposure by Andrew S. Gibson is a great photography basics ebook, covering the fundamentals of light, composition, and basic camera controls such as shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.
- PHOTOGRAPH is a quarterly photography magazine published by Craft & Vision. Offering both a look ta some beautiful portfolios along with several great articles by Craft & Vision authors, it’s a great deal. Read a brief review of issue two, three, or four.
- Portraits of Earth – a look at landscape photography by David duChemin. After looking at gear, light, and form, the author dives into specific instructions for a variety of tricky landscape photography scenarios.
- Slow – by Andrew S. Gibson – a look at long exposure photography. Topics include long exposure still photography, panning, intentional camera motion, and other techniques for slow shutter speeds.
- Timelapse: An Introduction to Still Photographs in Motion – by David Delnea – a great introductory book for those curious about exploring the world of time lapse. The author covers required (and optional) equipment, how to have a successful shoot, and how to process the resulting images into a finished video.
- The Visual Toolbox: 50 Lessons for Stronger Photographs – a hefty (over 200 pages) ebook with a wide range of photography and creativity tips and techniques. Author David duChemin provides a nice lesson for each concept, often including assignments that force the reader to think about things through a different path than usual in order to further their learning.
Business Book Reviews for Photographers
- The Impact Equation is a look at how one can make a real impact with their online marketing efforts as opposed to flailing around and making noise without making a difference. It’s a great read for those who want their message to stand out in the ever-more-crowded stream of information that flows past.
Equipment & Gear for Photographers
- Think Tank Photo Mirrorless Mover 10 – a small bag designed for compact mirrorless cameras. Great for a small camera and a lens or two.
App & Services Reviews for Photographers
- Dark Sky is an iPhone application that offers micro-forecasts, specifically alerting about the rain predictions for the next hour. It’s a great tool for those who do any sort of photography outdoors.
- WP Engine is managed WordPress website hosting. All the flexibility and power of WordPress without having to fret about security patches, frequent backups, or keeping your server software secured. [Splat Photo is powered by WP Engine]